Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tozer

I'm a great book starter. I just don't finish well. I love the idea of being a reader, but the discipline to finish is something I'm working on. So, even though "Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer, is only 115 pages, I've been reading it for months. Tozer is pretty unbelievable. As I sift through all of the theological mumbo jumbo of a lot of other guys, there are only a handful that really bring me to a point where I can see the power of God. Tozer is one such writer. So I thought I'd share. In the last chapter he says we need to "Aquaint ourselves with God." And then he says this:
But the God we must see is not the utilitarian God who is having sucha run of popularity today, whose chief claim to men's attention is His ability to bring them success in their various undertakings and who for that reason is being cajoled and flattered by everyone who wants a favor. The God we must learn to know is the Majesty in the heavens, God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, the only wise God our Saviour. He it is that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, who stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in, who bringeth out His starry host by number and calleth them all by name through the greatness of His power, who seeth the works of man as vanity, who putteth no confidence in princes and asks no counsel of kings.

No comments: